Sunday, August 14, 2011

A Summers Worth of Trail Building





As I type this, I am already 65 hours into this year’s trail project and I have had a plethora of experiences on this special mountain. I have worked in extreme heat, in clouds of mosquitoes and in thunderstorms. I have witnessed beautiful water falls that I did not even know existed. I have been blessed with beautiful sunsets and gentle breezes. Every Thursday has been spent with hands in the dirt and moving rocks to create a pleasing path for others to take. I hope you will take it.











Ringwood-Ramapo Trail Project: For those following this project, we (Jorba) have been making improvements to the Ringwood-Ramapo (red) trail from the intersection of the (blue) bridge all the way up to The Old Guard Trail (green/white) intersection. The project started with two years of planning and approvals, and then three years of actual trail building to date. This trail traverses and climbs through some very extreme grades and numerous rocky areas. When Art and I first took on this project, we knew it was ambitious. Trying to keep volunteers motivated to work on something that they may not be able to ride for years was tough, but I think we have finally crested over the top of that hill.



After getting Lyme disease and tearing my rotator cuff while out on the planning stages of this project, I am finally reaping some positive vibes as people start riding this trail. Of course this is not because of me, but because of all the volunteers that spent their days working on the trail.

Thank you workers ….
Joe
Ty
Adrienne
James
Steve
Zsuzanna
Allen
Jessica
Jeff
Joaquin
Elizabeth
Leigh
JD
Joey
Bill
Patti
Tim
Henry
Tom
Dar
Dan
Kathy
Chris
Phil
Randy
Michael
Marianne
Willy
Tahir
Jennel
Tara
Manny
and Art. This trail will have your signature on it.

Please go out and ride here:

1 comment:

Rigidnsingle said...

You guys have done a wonderfull job on the red. Transformed from barely hikeable to singletrack bliss...Priceless