Monday, March 25, 2013

Day # 1 of Intensity "Pixy vs Norvasc"

Last Saturday was my first day of intensity training in 2013. It also happened to be my first race of the year. Although jumping into a fire is not a totally bad idea, this was not in my master plan. I usually start upping my intensity around March 1, and work up to a short track race and then a XC race. This year, although in better shape than usual on March 1, things got messed up.

If I can back things up a bit: I started Norvasc, a blood pressure medication at the end of February right after my trip to Arizona. Norvasc is not a banned in cycling drug, for all the anti Lance fans out there. A few days later I experienced some fatigue and felt quite lethargic with my riding. I assumed I was over extended in my training and took a week of rest. …. then another week. After 3 weeks of sleepy, lethargic 1 hour recovery rides, I ended up back at the doctor and being taken off the medication. Apparently, I experienced some less common side affects that the drug company did not list on the pharmacy sheet.

Uncertain on race day of what day four off the meds would do for me, I took the start line to test my health and to attempt my first day of intensity training. I used caution with a mass co-ed start and lined up in back. Once I cautiously worked my way into the single-track, and it was quite a squeeze down at the first turn, I was forced to sit in a bit to wait for safe passing room on this very tight, wet, narrow course. I did rub a few tires and elbows, as to be expected with this type of course.

It eventually opened up for me and I glanced down to see numbers on my heart rate monitor that I had hoped to see on March 1. It was such a relief, that it almost brought tears to my eyes. While most racers on course were wanting to vomit in pain, I was teary-eyed with happiness. It felt so good to be healthy and able to race, I never noticed any pain or effort. It was like business a usual as I worked through my usual lap 2 stomach cramps and then the diesel kicked in as it usually does. I felt like I powered into the finish and was handed a block of wood and a beer.

Elated with first race day feeling, I headed out on a 50 mile hilly road ride the next morning. I had not been able to ride more than an hour or so at a time over the last 3 weeks and here I was out for back to back days and a 3+ hour ride while feeling good. I can not wait for the snow to melt, so I can get back on some rocks. Oh yeah, and I do have to go back to the doctor and figure out what to do for my blood pressure next, but for now, I am out riding and enjoying.

No comments: