Sunday, March 2, 2008

Big Weekend

Wow, what a weekend! With the weather forecast for snow Friday night, I was sure for a XC ski on Saturday. What a disappointment to wake up to the sound of rain. I went back to bed, and was awakened by the phone. Apparently, Minnewaska was in good shape, and the gang was chomping to go. Minnewaska Preserve is a real special place, filled with beautiful views, cliffs and crystal clear lakes. They also groom a XC track in winter. The conditions were primo. At one point Henry was down to a short sleeve t-shirt. We went for some extra skiing and broke track around Lake Awosting. Then this squall blew through. We could barely see, and keep warm. One hour later, the sun was out again. Great ski, and I wasn’t quite as sore as last week.



Nate talked us into a road ride from Morristown for Sunday. It was brutally cold at the start, and Art and I rode fat tire tandem. The first few times my heart rate went up, my fingers shut down completely. Luckily, there were a few stops to re-group, where I could get them back. I only warmed up climbing up the Black River Wildlife Walls, and then got cold again. Thankfully, we stopped for snacks indoors in Oldwick, and afterwards I was much better. It was my longest ride this year, and with legs hurting from the ski, I struggled to get back. Turned out to be 73 miles with 6,330-elevation gain, which is more than I thought it would be. I'm ready for bed now, but it was an awesome weekend full of adventure and challenge.

No comments: