Monday, February 28, 2011

Land of Sun





No doubt, it has been a long, cold and snow-filled winter in New Jersey and most of the northeast. So, when four mountain bikers boarded a plane destined for Arizona, there was much excitement and anticipation to ride our mountain bikes in sunshine. Once in my seat on the plane, I rolled up my puffy down coat and put it away for a week…. well, that was what I thought.

Destination: Wild Outdoor World of Arizona “WOW”, an amazing restored natural habitat oasis that draws butterflies, insects, birds and a plethora of wild animals, and coincidentally has 40 miles of mountain bike trails out the backyard.

http://blog.wowarizona.com/

We arrived late, when it was dark, and we went to sleep in anticipation of the week ahead. In the morning, the first sound I heard was a familiar “wheet, wheet” of the Curve-billed Thrasher. Nearly a year had passed since I heard that sound, and instantly, I was back home with it. We live in a world co-mingled with noise pollution, and being able to step outside of our man-made world, if only for a bit with our ears can be peaceful and rejuvenating. I draw back the blinds and see blue sky over beautiful mountains.






Six days of riding in sun.....


a sun so strong, that it bakes.




These may look friendly, but the desert has a harsh side.....


with a small price to pay.










Alcohol enhanced electrolyte elixer ...aka: "margarita"


Some surprise snow to ease us back to NJ weather






Puffy coat comes out for the ride to the airport.


Happy birthday MA!!

No comments: